Sunday, October 31, 2010

October 25th, 2010

Hello! Mom, thanks for the advice about not getting caught up in the numbers.  I have learned that that is really hard to do in our mission.  Elder Ghormely and I have actually stayed up many nights talking about this.  A lot of missionaries here don't care if afterwords the person goes inactive or not, they just want the number of baptisms to go higher.  I truly care about these people.  I hate seeing other people give up on them so easily.  I am trying my hardest to find a way that I can shoe these people that what they are feeling while we teach them is the Holy Ghost telling them it is the truth.  Thanks for the help, mom.
This week my comp and I just worked our butts off!!  We had quite a good week, but still can;t find someone that is like perfect.  After every first lesson, we ask the person how they feel about baptism and if they would like to set a date as a goal to work towards.  We didn't have one person that would set a goal, I think that was the annoying part about this week.  We did teach a lot of people that seem to have a lot of potential.  We taught Fabio and he said he couldn't believe Joseph Smith was a prophet because he had like 20 wives.  So, we explained the situation about that and then taught him the Book of Mormon.  I think it could help him out a ton.  We also found a mother and son.  The mom has been really depressed, but she said that she felt something different from the first time we talked to her.  We are still teaching Vera and Gildo (the slipper people) they are way cool, but they work on Saturdays and Sundays and can't come to church.  Gildo's brother passed away this week.  We were able to reteach him the Plan of Salvation and that he would be able to see his brother again.  It really helped him out a ton.  We are teaching this crazy lady, Marialena, she is just wacky.  But she does everything we ask her, minus going to church.  She wants someone to go with her, hopefully next week we can work that out.
We are teaching this kid, Guilherme.  He is the best friend of the branch presidents son who is on a mission and I had met him in the CTM.  Guilherme is way cool.  He is really a thinker and isn't sure about God.  We asked him to pray about our message.  He said that he did, but he didn't really think he had asked in faith.  We taught him a good lesson and I think he understood the importance about asking with a true desire to know the truth.
At church I was super sad because none of our investigators decided to come.  But then, out of nowhere, Marcelo showed up.  I was so excited, my comp was just confused as I was trying to explain to him in half English/half Portuguese that Marcelo has shown up.  It had been about 4 weeks since the last time he came.  I was super nervous because I had to teach the Gospel Principles class and the lesson was my "favorite subject", the Law of Chastity.  A friend of Marcelo's was there and he is a returned missionary, he helped Marcelo understand,  It went really well.
The weather here is totally bipolar.  It will be super hot during the day, then all of the sudden it starts raining and then goes back to super hot.  It is just making me mad.
Me and my comp are getting along good when it comes to like being friends and stuff.  It is nice to have someone that can relate to American stuff.  I did learn that he likes to watch lil kid cartoons and he understands a lot of my random Sponge Bob quotes.  Also, he watches How I Met Your Mother, that just made things so good. Haha
I can't believe Bryson's comp won't let them eat at the members homes.  The is truly the greatest thing.  When you get to know the members you gain trust in them and they gain trust in you.  A lot of the members don't help the missionaries because they don't think they can trust them to teach people they know.  I think that is why we eat at their house's, to develop a relationship and find out if they have any friends that they would like us to visit. 
Thank you so much for everything, I love you all so, so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment