Sunday, July 4, 2010

July 1, 2010

This week was going really great until the weekend came.  On Saturday we were scheduled to baptize Nilda (our investigator in the wheel chair), that morning she calls us and tells us she can't want to be baptized today.  So we started freaking out and then went to her home to talk with her.  What happened was Nilda had got in an argument with her daughter, Monique, and she felt like she couldn't be baptized because of that.  We talked for a while and Nilda realized that she did want to be baptized, she had just been upset.  Everything was all set and we were ready to go, but when we got to the church the water in the baptismal font was ice cold.  Nilda has a lot of health problem, so there was no way she could get in that freezing water.  My comp and I were like, "Crap, what is this all about?"  Nilda said it was OK, we could do it tomorrow (Sunday) and it would be great.  After all of this happened, Monique (Nilda's daughter) asked us if she could be baptized on Sunday also.  We told "Yes, of course you can." Now we are happy again.  Sunday we go to church; Nilda and Monique are there, the water is warm, everything is going great.  The ward mission leader asks if he can talk to Nilda.  They go into a room to talk and Nilda leaves the room on tears and says she is never coming back to church again.  We have no idea what has happened.  After talking to Nilda we find out the ward mission leader told her that he didn't think she was ready and that she could not be baptized.  I couldn't believe it, the mission leader did not have the right to tell her this.  Nilda is so spiritual and so ready to be baptized.  So, the baptism did not happen,  There was a lot of rage and everyone was so upset.  Since then we have had the chance to talk with Nilda, she still has a testimony and wants to be baptized.  But she feels like she needs to forgive Alex (the ward mission leader) before she will be ready.  Hopefully this will all get resolved quickly. Yeah, it was just crazy, hectic and so sad.

We did have another transfer and yes, I did get a new companion.  His name is Elder Pumphrey and he is in the hospital.  He has a herniated disk and the doctors say that he definitely needs surgery.  He will most likely go home to the States to have the surgery done, I will just be with him until he leaves.  Right now I have been staying at the hospital with him until about 4 or 6, and then I go out and work with one of the other elders.  I don't know who my companion will be when he leaves for the States, it's going to be interesting.

This area is very different than Marilia.  There we worked with a lot of part member families and inactives.  The aren't any part member families in our ward here and the inactives do not like us at all, so most of our contacts are just cold calls.

I do feel very close to the Lord and my testimony keeps getting stronger and stronger.  I am so glad I chose to serve,  This is something I needed in my life to help me grow up and become the person that I want to be.

I love you all so much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment